To spread the word, tag Operation Christmas Child on any social media posts related to the project and use our hashtag #ilovepackingshoeboxes
Operation Christmas Child Photos
What is Operation Christmas Child?
- The Samaritan’s Purse project Operation Christmas Child collects shoebox gifts—filled with fun toys, school supplies and hygiene items—and delivers them to children in need around the world to
demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way. For many of these children, the gift-filled shoebox is the first gift they have ever received.
- Since 1993, Operation Christmas Child, the world’s largest Christmas project of its kind, has collected and delivered more than 168 million shoebox gifts to children in more than 160 countries and territories.
- Anyone can pack a shoebox. Individuals, families, churches and groups fill empty shoeboxes with school supplies, hygiene items and fun toys, such as dolls or soccer balls.
- Drop-off locations open across the country every year during National Collection Week, the third week in November
- Learn how to pack a shoebox, view gift suggestions, and find the nearest drop-off location at samaritanspurse.ca/occ.
- Do not include candy; toothpaste; used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; seeds; chocolate or food; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items, such as snow globes or glass containers; or aerosol cans.
- Participants who prefer the convenience of online shopping can browse PackaBox.ca to select gifts matched to a child’s specific age and gender, then finish packing the virtual shoebox by adding a photo and personal note of encouragement.
- Shoebox gifts are prepared for overseas shipment at our processing center in Calgary, Alberta.
- Shoebox gifts are collected in Canada, the U.S., the U.K., Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, Spain, New Zealand and Japan.
- Nearly 500,000 volunteers worldwide—with more than 16,000 of those in Canada—are involved in collecting, shipping and distributing shoebox gifts.
- Operation Christmas Child is a project of Samaritan’s Purse, an international Christian relief and evangelism organization headed by Franklin Graham. Samaritan’s Purse currently works in more than 100 countries to provide aid to victims of war, disease, disaster, poverty and famine.
- Delivered into the hands of children through local churches, every shoebox gift is an opportunity to share about Jesus Christ and God’s love.
- Since 2010, more than 14 million children who have received a shoebox gift have participated in The Greatest Journey—a 12-lesson discipleship program. Children learn from trained, local volunteers what it means to follow Jesus and share their faith with friends and family.