Region: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Samaritan’s Purse is a Christian international relief organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet the needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ.
Samaritan’s Purse Canada is looking for Recovery Specialist to join their Canadian Ministry Projects (CMP) team. Reporting to the Recovery Program Manager, the Recovery Specialist will contribute to long-term community recovery following disasters in the Abbotsford – British Columbia region, through strengthening relationships between individuals, social supports, government, and churches as part of Samaritan’s Purse Canada’s Approach to Recovery. Using Samaritan’s Purse Canada’s established recovery playbook, the Recovery Specialist will journey with individuals as well as the affected community using a ‘strengths-based’ approach to offer solutions for long-term, sustainable recovery. The Recovery Specialist will also support churches and community groups as appropriate to foster an integrated approach to strengthening the local church in community recovery and support its mission to see Canadian lives and communities transformed by equipping and empowering the church to meet the critical needs of its neighbours with the compassion of Jesus. As an integral member of the Canadian Ministry Projects department, this role will help Samaritan’s Purse Canada carry out its mission and objectives through participation in daily prayer ministry. The successful candidate will fulfill a full-time two-year contract primarily working from a home-based office located in the Abbotsford – British Columbia region, with additional office space provided by Samaritan’s Purse Canada for in-person client meetings, etc. This position includes benefits of life insurance, medical/dental and short term/long term disability, RRSP contributions (after 1 year of employment), and 15 days of vacation per year to start.
Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Function as a convenor of local and external support providers as well as local churches to support a collaborative approach to recovery
- Attend necessary local recovery meetings to learn of potential service gaps as well as individual and community needs
- Develop and implement a community entry strategy to gain knowledge of local community context including demographics, available resources, social supports, etc.
- Participate in unmet needs committees in order to direct homeowners to most appropriate agencies or organizations in the area where they may find assistance
- Maintain relationship with selected homeowners, communicating progress and supporting them through the recovery process
- Assist and counsel homeowners through avenues to acquire financial resources designated for their home re-construction/repair including provincial supports
- Follow up with homeowners through recovery journey and ministers to them throughout, encouraging local church involvement where appropriate
- Qualified applicants should be committed to Christian values and precepts and be in agreement with the Samaritan’s Purse Statement of Faith
- Post-secondary Degree or Diploma in social work or related discipline
- Minimum 2 years related experience and/or training in humanitarian assistance or social work
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with strong organizational and administrative skills
- Knowledgeable and passionate about the work of Samaritan’s Purse
- Able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, as required based on community needs
- Ability to work in and adapt to dynamic situations
- Strong investigative, analytical and organizational skills
- Able to work independently and meet deadlines while working in a fast-paced environment
- Professional communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Relationship builder with various demographics
- Valid driver’s license
To respond to this opportunity, please forward your resume together with a cover letter detailing your passion for Christian ministry employment to:
Attention: Human Resources
20 Hopewell Way NE, Calgary, AB T3J 5H5
Application Deadline: Open until a suitable candidate is selected
Note: Staff must be in agreement with the Samaritan’s Purse Statement of Faith and be committed to Biblical values, precepts and conduct. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.