Region: Calgary, AB
Samaritan’s Purse is a Christian international relief organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet the needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ.
Samaritan’s Purse International is currently seeking a skilled Global Health Technical Specialist who will be responsible for serving in field office programs, regional and disaster medical response activities, as well as technical advisory roles to support the mission of Samaritan’s Purse through health initiatives. This position operates within the overarching strategy set by Samaritan’s Purse (SP) International Headquarters (IHQ) and is in charge of coordinating, developing, and expanding SPC’s contribution to SP’s global medical response efforts. This individual will ensure the implementation of SP IHQ’s strategy, coordinate job duties with other SPC departments, and fulfill compliance with Canadian regulatory requirements.
The successful candidate will fulfill a full-time position in the Calgary head office, with a hybrid work-from-home arrangement available. Telecommuting work arrangements can be made for remote applicants. This position includes benefits of life insurance, medical/dental and short-term/long-term disability, RRSP contributions after one year of employment, and 15 vacation days per year to start.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with country offices, regional teams, and program managers to bolster and cultivate programming
- Supports the recruitment, training, and retention of medical Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) members by developing medical response communication materials and facilitating training sessions
- Provides ongoing mentorship and guidance to health and medical managers and focused programming
- Provides programmatic and technical support for health emergencies in designated regional field offices and develops strategies for preparedness and continuous planning to ensure swift and effective deployment
- Participates in creating and curating health programming modules which includes guidelines, supplies, staffing, and other vital components related to emergency medical responses
- Participates in Incident Management Team or DART activities as directed and travels to field and emergency response sites for temporary assigned field responsibilities as needed
- Stays current with health programming trends and acts as the resource hub for global health and emergency response activities
- Remains clinically relevant through ongoing work within local hospital facilities
- Fosters productive relationships with partners such as Global Affairs Canada, Canadian medical institutions, humanitarian organizations, and other agencies to drive program growth and diversify funding and support
- Qualified applicants should be committed to Christian values and precepts and be in agreement with the Samaritan’s Purse Statement of Faith
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Nursing or other health related field, with 3 to 5 years of experience working in health-related fields in developing countries required; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Thorough knowledge of humanitarian programming in the health sector
- General knowledge of emergency clinical care and response
- Demonstrated management capability and experience in low resource or crisis settings strongly preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in computer applications, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and proficiency in database applications and technical report writing for policy and manual creation
- Ability to work well under pressure and make decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organization and prioritizing skills
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to speak/read/write in French, Arabic, or Spanish is an asset
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
- Valid passport with no travel restrictions
- Current nursing, medical or professional license
To respond to this opportunity, please forward your resume together with a cover letter detailing your passion for Christian ministry employment to:
Attention: Human Resources
20 Hopewell Way NE, Calgary, AB T3J 5H5
Application Deadline: Open until a suitable candidate is selected
Note: Staff must be in agreement with the Samaritan’s Purse Statement of Faith and be committed to Biblical values, precepts and conduct. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.